Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Live Tutoring Session

Today I had my first tutoring session with 2 students in Eng 99 class. Before my session I was a little nervous, I thought I was going to forget some of my class discussions that I had prior. I introduced myself to both students and informed them that I was a student just like them and I took the CATW too once before. I made myself familiar with their assignment. I used the read aloud strategy with my first tutee, he did not feel comfortable with reading so he asked if we could take turns. From reading his paper I saw that he form a well structured paper. He understood the assignment and he told me he wanted to add more. I told him to adding more is always good. I had him read his paper one more time and think of additional information he wanted to share in each paragraph that he did not include. As he did this I focused on the second tutee, this one was discouraged he spoke bad about his writing. When he presented me with his writing piece I was shocked that he was putting his writing abilities down he was only four points from passing and his professor did some cheerleading on his paper. Reading his paper with him I witnessed that he lost sight of the topic and went in a different direction. I had him read his assignment and underline the important stuff that the author discussed. I told him to brainstorm on those topics and work from there. He wanted to disregard what his professor said, I reassured him to keep it because it worked in his favor just try to include his new information into his paper. I felt that the most positive part was the look of both tutees when I gave them honest feedback and when i told them that I took the CATW before. I think that when I shared that information with them they was intrigued and wanted to know what the graders look at while grading their test. I gave each student a task to force on and checked up on both. I did not feel that I focused on one student more than the other. After a while I did feel a little overwhelmed because I felt like I was saying the same thing over to both of them but they told me after the session that I did a great job and thanked them for allowing me to tutor them. I told them that if they need more assistance that they should not be afraid to seek help in the writing center.

4 comments:

  1. I was just as nervous today knowing I was having my first tutoring session. I imagined the worst case scenario and was completely drained. However, as soon as the professors introduced us, I felt safer for some reason. I did not properly introduce myself since I shook their hands but I forgot to tell them my name or ask them for theirs. I think it is great you were able to relate and I also had to tutor two students. You dedicated a fair amount of time to both students and I need to learn how to do that better. I also felt like I did a bad job but their comments encouraged me to try again and work harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is okay to be nervous during your 1st tutoring session. Try not to think about too much beforehand the tutee is probably more nervous than you. After your session think about what you did and how what will you do different next time. The fact that the tutee gave you positive comments means you did a great job tutoring them and they most likely appreciated it. Good job Ana.

      Delete
  2. I think introducing yourself as a student and sort of explaining how you and the student started at the same place (taking the CATW) helped the students feel more relaxed and you gained a closer relationship with the students. They probably saw you as a role model which was cool because i know some people feel like they will never get out of ENG99 and being that you started in ENG99 and you are now helping them with compose a paper, I feel like that gave them a sense of hope, which is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hii:) I was very nervous before walking into my tutoring session but after saying hii and introducing myself I was okay. I also had two students. I feel like you did everything right you gave each students advice and I to felt like I kept repeating myself but you have to because your dealing with two different individuals. I really liked how you could relate to the students, I think that made things so much better for the students and yourself. We had similar experiences with the students in which we were nervous at first but over came those fears and help push students to write better.

    ReplyDelete