Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Live Tutoring Session #2

Today I had my second live tutoring session; still I was a little nervous, yet I was anxious to see what the tutees had done since the last time I saw them. To my surprise my tutees did not come to class so I introduced myself to two  new tutees. They both were working on the same assignment 'The Dangers of Reality TV", which I was very familiar with. The 1st tutee was shy, he had explained to me that he had a hard time with the paper because he does not watch TV at all, in addition to that he had little knowledge of what reality TV was. Being that we were in a computer lab I had him re-read the assignment and then Google what reality tv was. I wanted to integrate using a computer in our tutoring session since we had the computer in front of us and it was a great tool to use so he can know what the article he read was about. The second tutee was struggling with finding his claims for his paper and adding examples to show he knew what the article was about. I had him read the article and underline the important things in each paragraph and focus on forming bullet points to support his claims. When I returned to the 1st tutee he was aware of what reality was and ready to work on adding to his paper. He had strong claims but he thought his examples was not strong to support his claims. He was shy and did not want to talk and he kept on saying he did not watch tv because it was boring. I tried to get him to open up so I formed a relationship with him by having small talk with him. I asked him what shows did he watch when he did watch tv, he responded he only watched the Discovery channel. I added on to that by asking him if he reads the newspaper or use the computer. He said yeah I continued with discussing reality tv shows I knew that have been in the newspaper and he opened up and became talkative. He

No comments:

Post a Comment